Thursday, October 16, 2008

Go Green!

At the risk of sounding boastful, I have to say, I really am a very simple person :-) My needs are very few and I don't have any craving for those fancy gadgets or typical accessories that most women long for.

While browsing thro' some blogs, I read some people tend to have 1 or 2 cupboard(!) full of shoes, hand bags, sunglasses, cosmetics... Hm, well, maybe I am a bit boring that way, but I really don't like to accumulate things that I won't be using much.

Infact, I have precisely one hand bag. I just love it and the best part is that it is just a medium sized one, but can hold an entire grocery bag. I keep wallets, mobile phones, sun glasses, assorted medicines (like disprin, the Vicks inhaler - oh am so addicted to it!), some documents and papers, a small comb, 1 or 2 hair bands/clips, 1 or 2 pens, keys. Apart from all these, I can easily pack a set of clothes in it!

And, I have 2 pairs of sneakers. A simple Reebok shoe and a baggy green Woodland shoe - my real splurge, I love it. And, one pair of regular wear sandals! It sounds a bit pathetic, maybe, I should buy another one...

And I am not into cosmetics and the like. I have my Nivea talc that I dab rarely. There is one Revlon nail enamel that my brother-in-law got for me, almost a year back. Nothing else. I like to keep my hair short, so no fancy things there, and I don't make-up, so nothing there as well.

Maybe am an aberration of sorts!

And coming to clothes - I have suddenly developed this urge to dispose off clothes that we haven't worn in like a year! They are all in very good condition, not worn out or faded. Infact, just before we moved from Gurgaon, we gave 2 huge bagful of clothes to Goonj. (please visit http://www.goonj.org for further details on what they do and how you can help).

Only when we do the exercise of moving to a different house, do we realize the amount of things that has accumulated over the years. Books, Clothes, Assorted papers (bills, temporary prescriptions, ATM slips, photocopies of numerous documents), Greeting cards [not recent ones, those from eons ago, kept for sentimental reasons :-)], some assorted photos (again a few of those printed - before the Digital camera hit us), gadgets (assorted bluetooth devices, some IR devices, wires and cords of different size & shapes, many many small clocks - those with alarm, calendar and such functions, innumerable CDs - some of which am sure will not play any more)
Phew! even just listing these here tires me out.

We felt very guilty seeing the amount of paper that we have used thus far. Seriously, numerous photocopies of passport, marriage certficate, pan card, driving license, ration card, credit cards and what not! Add to that piles of printouts (official and otherwise - articles, reports and other stuff) - Just the two of us must have wiped out about 1000 trees I think. We have now decided to consciously cut out on plastic and paper. Take a cloth bag to grocery shop and DO NOT print anything which we can do without. (PDFs, reports, atm slips etc). Just two simple rules to follow, to begin with.

Maybe I digressed a bit. But the recent move showed us the amount of junk we could easily do without.

So, that's one of the reasons I am really desisting from buying 'new clothes' for Diwali. Well, there is quite some 'pressure' to buy atleast a simple home wear kind of dress - but I feel quite disinterested right now.

So, what's the point of the post ?[as if every post of mine has one ;-)]

1. Save Trees. Use less paper. Avoid plastic.
2. Am a very simple person, really :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastico... well said... i too think that small things like these will go a long way in doing our bit to global preservation if not for construction!!! I am beginning to enjoy your blogs a lot just for the simple yet powerful messages they convey (typical of the title).. Keep them coming...

Artnavy said...

we seem to have some stuff in common

i too am a no make up / not many accessories/less paper person!!

cant say the same about clothes but!!

BTW in case u didn't already know- u can hyperlink w the url of the site

DC said...

Anon: I know who you are :-)

Art: Thanks for the tip... i'll check on how to provide a hyperlink.

Artnavy said...

hyperlink is thru the chain like icon above your post composer

DC said...

yup, got it. linked to goonj. thanks :-)